The City of Jacksonville has authorized an amnesty period to encourage property owners who have administrative fines or nuisance/demolition liens to bring their properties into compliance with local codes and receive relief on these outstanding obligations. (Ord. 2017-769)
Administrative fines are assessed on a property for failure to comply with orders from the Municipal Code Enforcement Board or Special Magistrate to correct property or zoning code violations. Nuisance and demolition liens are assessed on a property after the City has conducted an abatement or demolition on that property.
The 90-day amnesty application period will be effective from June 1, 2018 through August 29, 2018. During that period, the Municipal Code Compliance Division will accept applications to cancel administrative fines or waive interest on nuisance/demolition liens. Any cancellation of fines will be based upon full compliance with the order of the Special Magistrate or Municipal Code Enforcement Board to correct property safety, maintenance, and zoning code violations that led to the fine. Waiver of lien interest will be contingent upon payment of the initial lien amount.
The Neighborhoods Department will host a community meeting at the Legends Center, 5054 Soutel Drive, on August 8th, 2018, from 5:00 - 7:30 p.m.
How to Qualify
To qualify for the Fine and Lien Amnesty Program and to determine eligibility for the program, the following conditions or criteria will apply:
- The administrative fine or nuisance/demolition lien must have been issued/assessed prior to December 1, 2017.
- Property owners (on recorded public record) are the only parties authorized to submit applications for amnesty.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed, signed and notarized amnesty application.
- Applicants must not be otherwise personally indebted to the City of Jacksonville for any reason, including, but not limited to, ad valorem property taxes, special assessments, city utility charges, or other government-imposed fines against the property.
- If not already in compliance, the applicants will enter into a written Stipulation Agreement to correct all outstanding code violations by a date established by the City. The City will execute all Stipulation Agreements during the amnesty period of June 1, 2018 through August 29, 2018. The agreement will stipulate that the fine/lien elimination is not effective until all violations are corrected.
- The agreement will be subject to review and approval by the Office of General Counsel.
What’s Not Covered
This amnesty program does not authorize rescission or cancellation of any Paying Citations or Final Judgments. Please do not submit amnesty applications for these items.
Click here for a Fine/Lien Amnesty Program application. Applications will not be accepted after close of business Wednesday, August 29, 2018. For additional information, please contact (904) 630-CITY or (904) 630-2489.