Suzanne Jenkins - District 4
Suzanne Jenkins, who is in her second term on the Council, joined the City Council in July 1999 and was elected City Council Vice President for the 2001/2002 Council year. She is the 2000/2001 recipient of the Charles E. Webb Award presented to the outstanding council member of the year by the out-going Council President.
Suzanne recently received certification as a County Commissioner from the Florida Association of Counties. She is the only current Council Member to complete the voluntary program and receive certification. Suzanne was accepted into the Inaugural Series of the Florida Forum for County Leaders and received her certification in June 2007.
During her tenure on the City Council, some of the issues and legislation Suzanne has championed and/or initiated include:
- Ordinance 2006-739 prohibiting the operation of amusement gambling machines outside of amusement centers;
- Ordinance 2006-590-E creating and establishing criminal penalties and decontamination standards for Meth Houses;
- Ordinance 2005-743-E regulating Adult Entertainment establishments;
- Ordinance 2003-627-E creating and establishing a Downtown Overlay Zone;
- Ordinance 2000-408-E adopting security standards for businesses;
- Ordinance 2001-293-E setting standards for the placement and design of cell towers;
- Ordinance 2002-263-E establishing Building Code Compliance Alternatives for Historic Properties encouraging developers to invest in the reuse and revitalization of historic structures;
- Ordinance 2002-446-E creating a Downtown Sign Overlay Zone establishing standards for signs within the Downtown area; and
- The Town Center Initiative to revitalize neighborhood Town Squares.
Present Community Involvment
- Downtown Vision, Inc. Board Member
- Englewood High School Advisory Council
- Florida Association of Counties Board Member
- Florida Theatre Board Member
- JaxPride Board Member
- Pine Castle Board Member
- YMCA Board Member
- Sunday School Director at Hendricks Avenue Baptist Church
Past Community Involvement
- Southeast Citizens Planning Advisory Committee (Chair 1996 & 1997)
- Land Use Subcommittee of Mayor Delaney's Growth Management Task Force
- JEA Tree Coalition Board Member
- Greater Englewood Neighborhood Association (Past President)
- Pine Forest Elementary School PTA (Past President)
- Leadership Jacksonville (Class of 1998)
- Landon Middle School Advisory Council (Past Vice Chair)
- Pine Forest Elementary Advisory Council (Past Vice Chair)
- Six-time panelist at the Mayor's Neighborhood Summit
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce's World Class Champions for Duval County Schools
Suzanne has also received numerous awards for her community work including:
- 1997 'Outspoken Citizens Award' presented by Southside Businessmen Club
- Mayors Outstanding Neighborhood Leader (1997) to Greater Englewood Association (1998) and Business JaxPride (1998)
- 2001 'Before It's Time Award' presented by the Northeast Florida Planning and Zoning Association for her work on the City of Jacksonville Cell Tower Ordinance
- 2002 Jacksonville Historical Society 'Preservation Milestone Award'
- 2002 Girl Scouts of Gateway Council 'Women of Distinction Award'
- 2002 JaxPride 'Leadership Award,'
- Mental Health Association of Northeast Florida's 2003 Community Service Award
- 2005 'Successful Role Model Award' from the Greater El-Beth-El Divine Holiness Church.
Suzanne is the former Executive Director of JaxPride. She and Marshall, her husband of 30 years, have three children -- Shyla, 23, Bryan, 21 and Sarah, 18. They share their Englewood area home with dogs, Coco and Daisy, both adopted from the Jacksonville Animal Shelter, and cats, Memphis and Miss Kitty.
Suzanne moved to Jacksonville in 1970. She was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and prior to moving here her father's service in the Marine Corps allowed her to experience both small towns and metropolitan cities along the East Coast and in the Midwest. The family eventually settled in the St. Nicholas community.