Volunteers are needed for the 16th Annual St. Johns River Celebration cleanup event. Participants will spend the morning collecting litter and debris from more than 20 pre-selected riverfront and inland sites around the city.
WHEN: Saturday, March 19
Volunteer cleanup: 8 - 11:30 a.m.
(Specific times vary by locations. See below for more details.)
Volunteer appreciation event: noon - 2 p.m. (Riverside Arts Market)
WHAT: Part of the Florida Great American Cleanup, this event is one of many national and regional volunteer efforts to clean and protect the environment throughout the spring.
WHERE: Pre-selected cleanup sites are located around the city. Locations outlined below. The volunteer appreciation event will be held after the cleanup at the Riverside Arts Market, located on Riverside Avenue under the Fuller Warren (I-95) bridge.
For more information or to register call (904) 630-CITY or visit www.coj.net, keywords: St. Johns River Celebration or KJB.
Jacksonville’s city-wide event is an opportunity to bring together residents who respect and love the St. Johns River. Last year, 1,002 volunteers collected more than 16 tons of bagged litter, debris and tires in one morning at various sites in Duval County.
Volunteers will be provided with trash bags, gloves and tickets at the locations listed below. Tickets may be redeemed for refreshments and t-shirts (while supplies last) at an appreciation event at Riverside Arts Market following the cleanup.
Students can receive community service certificates for their participation. Participants must be over 18 years of age or accompanied by an adult. Advance registration is recommended, but not required.
The event is sponsored locally by Waste Management; Bank of America; Budweiser/River Network; Southland Waste Systems; HUBBARD Construction Company; CITI Bank; Florida Inland Navigation District; RENDA Broadcasting; Folio Weekly; Austin Outdoor; Krispy Kreme Doughnuts; All Wet Sports; Coca-Cola; Publix Super Markets Charities; Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.; WJCT; Henry Schein, Inc.; Aquagenix; Blade Buster; Growers Alliance Coffee; Keyboard Connection; Clara’s TIDBITS and Keep America Beautiful.
National sponsors include Rubber Manufacturers Association, SOLO, Scott’s Miracle Grow, Nestle Pure Life Water, DOW, Glad, Keep America Beautiful, Pepsi, Scott’s Miracle Grow, Troy-Bilt, Waste Management, LG, Lowe’s and Wrigley. Promotional Partners include Miss America and Crescent.
St. Johns River Celebration 2011 Cleanup Sites
- Warren W. Schell Jr. Memorial Park, 510 W. Sixth St. (32206)
- Henry J. Klutho Park, 635 Third St. (32206) Parking and sign in at 1200 Blk. Boulevard & 100 block Second Street
- Hogans Creek behind Jacksonville Historical Society, 314 Palmetto St. (32202) Meet in the parking lot behind the building. This site not recommended for children.
- Blue Cypress Park, 4012 University Blvd. N. (32277)
- Helen Cooper Floyd Park (formerly Little Jetties), 3600 S.R. A1A (32233)
- Reddie Point Preserve, 4499 Yachtsman Way (32277)
- All Wet Sports/Beach Boulevard Boat Ramp, 8508 Beach Blvd. (32216) A personal kayak, canoe or boat is required for this site. Participants use water vessels at their own risk.
- Ft. Caroline National Memorial, 12713 Fort Caroline Road (32225) Exception: Cleanup from 9-11 a.m.
- Naval Station Mayport, Jetties Pavilion # 3 Exception: Volunteers must have base access or arrange for base access*
- Yacht Basin Park, 2941 St. Johns Ave. (32205) Litter cleanup and beautification project at this site.
- Northbank Riverwalk, 221 Riverside Ave. (32202) Exception: cleanup 9-11:30 a.m.* Parking behind Yates YMCA. Turn on Jackson Street
- Memorial Park, 1620 Riverside Ave. (32204)
- Riverside Park, 753 Park St. (32204)
- Hood Landing Boat Ramp, 12925 Hood Landing Road (32223)
- Burnett Park, 3740 Burnett Park Road (32257)
- Azalea Creek/Boone Park, 3700 Park St. (32205)
- Fishweir Creek, 4000 block of St. Johns Avenue
- Ringhaver Park, 5198 118th St. (32244)
- Wayne B. Stevens Boat Ramp, 4555 Ortega Farms Blvd. (32210)
- Rolliston Park, 7505 Rolliston Road (32208)
- Huguenot Memorial Park, 10980 Hecksher Drive (32226)
- Harborview Boat Ramp, (north side Ribault River) 4100 Harborview Drive (32208)
- T. K. Stokes Boat Ramp, 2120 Riverview St. (32208)
- Hollybrook Park, 2805 McCoys Creek Blvd. (32254) Volunteers sign in at basketball court
- North Shore Park, 7901 Pearl St. (32208)