The City of Jacksonville defines Small and Emerging Businesses by the following requirements to be certified as a JSEB:
- Qualifying owner(s) must reside currently in Duval County for a minimum twelve consecutive month period immediately preceding JSEB application date: or have an established business headquartered for a minimum of three years in Duval County, and reside in Duval, St. Johns, Nassau, Baker, or Clay County for one year total within the five county area.
- Qualifying owner(s) must have a personal net worth of $1,325,000 or less, excluding personal residence, including but not limited to business value and assets (measured as book value), ownership in other businesses and all other assets personally owned, held in trust for the individual owner’s benefit, or held by a spouse; provided, however, that, notwithstanding personal net worth.
- Business must have a three-year annual gross receipts averaged over the preceding three-year period, not to exceed $12,000,000.
- The qualifying owner(s) must control 51% of the business entity being certified.
- The Business must be a for-profit business, not a front, a broker or a pass-through. A JSEB business must be registered as a supplier or distributer through the Florida Department of Revenue and provide the Certificate of Registration (Form DR-11) and a Florida Resale Certificate for Sales Tax (For DR-13) with initial certification application and current documentation with each renewal application.
- Qualifying owner(s) must be a citizen or a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States and be compliant with the residency requirements of this Program.