Business Startup Information

There may be other start-up requirements that your business must comply with. It is the responsibility of the business owner to insure that all of the start-up requirements are met.

1.       Incorporation: If you plan to do business as a corporation, you must register with the Secretary of State. Call the Corporate Information Department at (850) 245-6052;
2.       Business Name: If your business does not operate as a corporation and you plan to run your business under a name other than your own full name, you will need to register the business with a "fictitious" name. Call the Secretary of State at (850) 245-6058;
3.       City License: If your business is within the city limits of Jacksonville (Duval County), you will need to obtain a Business Tax Certificate (occupational license) from the City.                                                             
4.       State License: The State of Florida requires people in more than 50 regulated professions, from pharmacists to barbers, to obtain special licenses or certificates. Call the State Department of Business and Professional Regulation at (850) 487-1395;
5.       Business License Information: People who open, own or operate restaurant, hotel or other food service businesses need to comply with state regulations. Call the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation at (850) 487-1395 or apply online at
6.       Zoning: Business owners must make sure that the business they want to conduct is permitted on the property that the business will be located.  Call the Duval County Zoning Department at (904) 255-8300 or Planning Department: (904) 255-7800.                               
7.       Employer Identification Number: All businesses except sole proprietorships with no employees must register for a federal identification number. Call the Internal Revenue Service at (850) 942-8995 or 1-800-829-4933;
8.       Federal Income Tax Withholding and Social Security Tax: Employers must withhold from salaries of their employees for federal tax purposes. They also must pay Social Security taxes. Call the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-4933;
9.      Chamber of Commerce: Trusted Business Partner-
10.    Beaver Street Enterprise Center: Trusted Business Partner -        
11.    Small Business Development Center: Trusted Business Partner -
12.    E3 Business Group: Start-Up Assistance Group -
13.    State Unemployment Tax: Businesses must also pay into a state fund that pays unemployment insurance. Call the State of Florida Department of Revenue at 1-800-352-3671.
14.    Workers' Compensation: Companies with four or more employees must pay into a state fund that compensates workers who are injured on the job. In construction businesses, the rules that apply are stricter. Call the Compliance Division of Workers' Compensation at (850) 413-1601;




Contact Us