Special Needs Registration
The Duval County Emergency Preparedness Division maintains a registry of clients who have been identified as persons with Special Medical Needs. These individuals require assistance during evacuations and sheltering.
What is a Special Medical Needs Client?
- A person qualifying for special needs is someone who is medically dependent on electricity (i.e. electricity needed for life supporting equipment). This may also include a person with regular need for assistance with medications and/or observation, dementia, chronic conditions that require assistance and persons with contagious health conditions that require minimal precautions or isolation (rare in shelter).
- Special Needs Medical Registration Form
- Any person that meets the above criteria and plans to use a public shelter during an evacuation should register by filling out the form below well in advance or by contacting the Emergency Preparedness Office by phone (904) 630-2472.
- A new registry is created each year starting in January. Each client must re-register every year to remain in the system.
- Each individual's registration form is reviewed by a Health Care Professional and categorized by the assistance required. They are then assigned to a shelter or hospital and to the appropriate transportation agency, if applicable.
- Individuals will be notified by mail with information regarding what to bring to the shelter.
Transportation Special Needs
What to expect at a special medical needs shelter
What happens during an evacuation?
- Special Medical Needs individuals requiring transportation will be contacted by phone to coordinate a pickup time. Please be ready when transportation arrives and make sure you have packed all essential items.
- Caregivers or family members are welcome to accompany a Special Needs individual to the shelter.
- Once the storm has passed, individuals are returned home by the same mode of transportation in which they arrived. Special Needs program officials will verify that the individual's residence is safe and habitable prior to their return.
These forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from Adobe. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, click Adobe for a free download.