Recovering from Hurricane Matthew

October 24, 2016  
Want to know more about what the City of Jacksonville is doing to recover from the destruction of Hurricane Matthew and what resources are available to citizens who were negatively impacted by the disaster?

My home/business was damaged by the storm. What should I do?
To aid in damage assessment efforts, residents and businesses are asked to report structural damage to 630-CITY or This includes roof damage, cracks in the home and/or foundation and downed tree on house. Persons should provide address, detailed description of damage and a photo (if submitting by website). 

What disaster assistance is available?

  • Citizens needing immediate assistance as a result of Hurricane Matthew should contact United Way of Northeast Florida’s 2-1-1 Hotline by dialing 2-1-1 or (904) 632-0600 from any land line or cell phone, or by visiting Download a list of disaster relief resources here.
  • The City of Jacksonville is working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine options for supporting citizens with select structural damages to their homes from Hurricane Matthew. Citizens should email or call (904) 255-3110.
  • Governor Rick Scott has activated the Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program, a short-term, interest-free working capital loan (between $1,000 and $25,000) intended to bridge the gap between the time a disaster hits and when a business has secured longer term recovery resources such as insurance claim payments or other assistance. Please note: this is a loan, not a grant. Loans must be paid in full by the end of the loan term. The deadline for applications is November 11, 2016. Visit to apply.
  • Hurricane Matthew Disaster Relief Grant: Households with annual incomes up to 120% of the average median income are eligible to receive a disaster relief grant up to $12,000 from the state. 
  • The Florida First Coast Relief Fund is providing financial support to non-profit organizations to increase their capacity to help victims of Hurricane Matthew. To date, the Salvation Army and American Red Cross have received funds. To learn more, please review the "How can I make a Donation" question below.
  • Duval County residents affected by Hurricane Matthew are now eligible for individual assistance through FEMA. Residents can apply for assistance by visiting

How can I volunteer during storm relief efforts?
The American Red Cross is coordinating local volunteer and humanitarian efforts. Please visit and click the “Volunteer” link to register to be a volunteer. You can also call (904) 798-9202 to learn about local volunteer opportunities.
How can I make a donation to help citizens greatly impacted by the storm?
The United Way of Northeast Florida, United Way of St. Johns County, The Community Foundation for Northeast Florida, and the Jewish Federation of Jacksonville have joined together to create Florida's First Coast Relief Fund to assist organizations helping those in Northeast Florida affected by Hurricane Matthew. One hundred percent of all gifts will go to the relief effort. Any unspent funds will be used to seed a permanent disaster relief fund for Northeast Florida.

Donations can be made:

  • Online:
  • By text: Texting STORM to 50503
  • By check: Pay to the order of United Way of Northeast Florida and mail to P.O. Box 41428, Jacksonville, FL 32203-1428 ** Be sure to note “Florida’s First Coast Relief Fund” on the check 

When will debris/garbage/recycling get picked up?
In Hurricane Matthew’s aftermath, the City of Jacksonville Public Works department is working diligently to respond to citizens' needs. The City will not be publishing storm debris collection schedules, and there is currently no time estimate for when storm debris will be collected. Residents are asked to remain patient and refrain from contacting 630-CITY to request storm debris collection as the storm recovery team’s collection efforts will begin in areas with the heaviest debris volumes.

  • Garbage, recycling and yard waste collection resumed normal operations on Monday, October 10. Every effort is being made to keep normal garbage, recycling and yard waste collection on schedule.
  • Regularly scheduled yard waste collection is limited to bagged and containerized waste, and the five cubic yard limit and other size and weight restrictions remain in effect.
  • Loose vegetative storm debris is being collected street-by-street by contracted storm recovery crews.
  • Limits for storm debris have been waived and pick-up began on Monday, October 10.
    • First pass: crews will collect all loose vegetative debris that is out at the curb upon arrival
    • Multiple passes may be necessary
  • We cannot provide a schedule for a specific street or neighborhood.
  • Crews are first targeting areas with the heaviest debris.
  • Residents should leave storm debris loose and piled by the curb, even that which would ordinarily be containerized.
  • Vegetative storm debris must remain separate from construction/demolition debris, bulk items, and other household waste. Failure to keep debris separated by type may prevent workers from collecting any of it.
  • The following items cannot be included with yard waste or vegetative storm debris: painted or treated wood (such as fencing), railroad ties, landscape timbers and Plywood
  • Collection of bulk household items, such as furniture and rolled carpet and padding, will be collected on the normal schedule according to service area:
  • Fully automated service areas (both recycling and garbage) – on recycle day
  • Automated recycling only – on household garbage day
  • Collection of tires and appliances, such as refrigerators, water heaters, washers and dryers, should be scheduled in advance through 630-CITY. They will not be collected as part of storm recovery efforts.
  • Place any materials for collection at least three feet away from utility boxes and poles, mailboxes, fire hydrants and other impediments. Do not place materials under trees.
  • To aid in storm recovery efforts, residents should avoid parking on streets whenever possible.
  • Neither city nor storm debris collection crews will collect hazardous waste of any kind, including but not limited to paint, vehicle batteries, florescent or CFL light bulbs, pool chemicals, gas/propane, and friable asbestos. Residents can take hazardous waste to the city’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 2675 Commonwealth Avenue.
  • Residents can dispose of debris themselves at the Trail Ridge Landfill, 5110 U.S. Hwy 301 S. Disposal fees will apply.
  • REMINDER: Outdoor open burning of debris is strictly prohibited without a permit.