Please have the following information available when calling 911 for emergency assistance.
- The nature of the problem and exactly what happened
- The address of the emergency
- The phone number you are calling from*
*Please stay on the line until the call taker has given you proper instructions.
While waiting for the ambulance to arrive:
- Keep the patient awake, warm and calm.
- Let the patient know that help is on the way.
- Turn the house lights on and make sure the address is clearly visible from the street.
- Send someone to flag down the ambulance if the house is difficult to locate or the address is not visible from the middle of the street.
- Gather the patient's insurance card.
- Write down information about patient's medical history, names of doctors, medications and allergies, if possible.
- Clear a route to the patient for a stretcher.