Best Practices Forum
Many organizations have developed innovative initiatives and techniques to support military veterans. This forum enhances the ability of the City of Jacksonville to serve the military community and provides for the Jacksonville Military Veterans Coalition members to share their best practices.
The Families and Work Institute, Society for Human Resource Management has an excellent report entitled “Employer Support for the Military Community
” that provides information on Employer Support for the Military Community Required by Law; Support for Veterans Provided by Employers; Support for Military Families Provided by Employers; and Suggestions for Successful Military Community Support. Outlined below are excerpts from this report that can assist employers in connecting with the military veteran community; the entire report can be reviewed at.
Human Resource Policy
Branding/Marketing the Organization to Military
Company Veteran Support
Guard/Reserve Deployed Employees
- Dedicate a portion of the recruiting budget to military recruiting
- Use of DVOPs and LVERs at the local state employment office
- Utilize an on-line military to civilian job translator
- Outreach with Veteran groups in your community, volunteer, parades, etc
- Establish partnerships with Wounded Warriors type groups
- Apply for any type awards for supporting or recruiting military, ie ESGR, VFW, American Legion, GI Jobs
- Hire recruiters who have experience in placing military and has a military background
- Have a system to look at military or veterans in your candidate assessment system
- Provide training on the military for all staff who have any part with the sourcing, recruiting, selecting, interviewing or on boarding of your organization.
- Offer pay differential to reserve or guard employees when they are on training or deployed
- Don't make your Guard or reserve employees use leave, sick or vacation time for military service or training.
- Comply with all parts of USERRA
- Highlight any military or military spouse type programs
- Provide links or special pages of news stories that highlight any type of military related corporate citizenship efforts/or military inclusion group
- List military friendly policy on the website also list Veteran awards or ranking for support in any military type magazines.
- Note the percentages of military employees, recently hired military, disabled veterans, and spouses.
- Set up a blog or web cast with current veteran employees who can communicate with potential job seekers.
- Military newsletter from Military group or activities and events.
- Add video clip or highlight current military employees
- List military career fairs, job fairs, and all military related recruiting events so candidates can talk with recruiters.
- Customized military career page
- Offer to send text messages to military job seekers on any recruiting event or special positions who sign up.
- Exhibit and participate in military career fairs.
- Have military staff members volunteer to attend and help recruit at events.
- Solicit current military employees to recommend military friend/contacts.
- Post positions at all Army ACAP, Navy and USMC Family Service Centers and Air Force Airman Centers at military facilities.
- Volunteer to sit on Employer panels at area Military Transition Assistance classes.
- Establish a Veteran Inclusion/Affinity Group
- Assign a former military mentor to all new military employees.
- Designate a former military in your organization as an ombudsman who has knowledge of USERRA.
- Conduct a Veteran Appreciation Day for the organization.
- Recognize Veteran Employees on Veterans Day and Memorial Day.
- Post military history days on company-wide on line bulletins.
- Send a Press statement to area newspapers, radio and television stations on any significant awards won the Military Team.
- Publicly send-off and welcome back any deployed employee.
- Encourage employees to send cards or "goodies" to deployed employees.
- Maintain contact with family of the deployed employee, include the family in any Veteran functions.