The Neighborhood Initiatives Team covers a wide range of functions, but mostly focuses on citizen participation and neighborhood improvements. This team:
- administers the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP), which assists in the redevelopment of abandoned and foreclosed properties,
- administers the Northwest Economic Development Trust Fund (NWJEDF), which provides capital for project development within the Northwest Jacksonville area,
- administers the Town Center Initiative (TCI) program, which improves commercial area right-of-ways in older neighborhoods,
- maintains an inventory of land suitable for affordable housing,
- and assists affordable housing providers.
In addition, the team coordinates the activities of the Neighborhood Planners, who work as liaisons between city government and local communities, including Citizen Planning Advisory Committees - CPACs, neighborhood and home owner associations, local businesses, educational institutions, and residents. This staff ensures that the needs of the community are being met through training classes or assistance in starting or maintaining a neighborhood group.