Earl Johnson Memorial Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Earl Johnson Memorial Park

Earl M. Johnson Memorial Park is located between Emerson St. and University Blvd. on the Southside. After the Civil War, much of the area was settled by African-American families, and the community became known as Pine Forest (also Larsen). Most of the land was donated to the City in 1976 and utilized as the former Stetson Road Landfill. The park was created by 1990 and named that year for Earl M. Johnson (1928-1968), the first African-American member of the Jacksonville Bar Association. He worked tirelessly for civil rights throughout Florida, while serving 16 years on the City Council and on the Commission that drafted the new consolidated government in 1968. The site contains 2 fishing lakes and 8 youth soccer fields, often used by the Jacksonville Youth Soccer Club, which helps the City maintain the park. Park Fields will be closed Aug. 5, 2009-November 8,2009 for field renovation. Additional features:
Bike racks 1 Car Parking 82 Concession Stand 1 Drinking Fountain Fishing Available Multiuse Field 1 Perimeter Site Fencing  Security 4 Lighting Soccer 8 Trash Barrels 13