James and Downing Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About James and Downing Park

James and Downing Park is located in the Riverside section of west Jacksonville, bounded by Selma, James, and Downing Streets. The land for the park was shown as a triangular parcel on the 1909 plat of New Riverside, which before the Civil War was part of a 1000-acre plantation operated by Elias G. Jaudon, one of the founders of the Baptist Church in Jacksonville. In 1922, the developer donated the parcel to the City for use as a public park, which was given the name of the adjacent streets, likely named after Columbus Downing, the president of the New Riverside Company, and a Captain James. Riverside-Avondale Preservation, Inc. (RAP) championed the local designation of the area as the Riverside Avondale Historic District in 1998. The attractive neighborhood park consists of an open space encircled by oak trees, with two benches for relaxation. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Benches 2
Trash Barrels 1