James P. Small Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About James P. Small Park

Originally known as Barrs Field, Durkee Field was bought by the city for $348,000 in 1932. The baseball stadium was built in 1936-1937. Durkee Field was home to the Negro League and minor league baseball teams. Henry Aaron, Leroy “Satchel” Paige, Roy Campanella, James “Cool Papa” Bell and William “Judy” Johnson passed through on their way to baseball’s “Hall of Fame”. The name of the park changed from Durkee Field to J. P. Small Memorial Park Stadium in July 1980. James P. Small coached and taught at Stanton HS for 33 years, then coached at Raines HS for one year before retiring. He died in 1975. In 1982, the stadium was slated for demolition; however, a case was made for its renovation. The project was completed in 1985. Renovations included structural repairs, a new roof, press box and dugouts, paving the parking lot, a new playscape and lighted fields. Further renovation in 2006 included a small museum. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Baseball Adult Lighted 1
Benches 5
Bleachers 120
Car Parking 20
Concession Stand 1
Perimeter Site Fencing  
Picnic shelters 1
Picnic Tables 5
Playground Equipment 1
Restrooms 1
Trash Barrels 16