John N. McPherson Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About John N. McPherson Park

John N. McPherson Park is located in the West Springfield area of Jacksonville, at the intersection of Boulevard and Eighth Street. The property originally comprised part of Springfield Park, most of which the City created between 1899 and 1901 on land donated by the Springfield Company. The area around the park eventually became a thriving medical complex containing hospitals and a public health clinic. After the Historic Springfield Community Council initiated a project to develop the park, the City oversaw its creation in 1990. The new facility was named Gateway Park because it made a lovely entrance to Springfield, and later featured the Henry J. Klutho Memorial Gazebo (built in 1992). The City Council changed the name in 2004 to honor John McPherson (1928-2000), a 27-year Navy veteran of three wars, who was a community activist, volunteer, and supporter of neighborhood improvements, who often inspired others by example. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Benches 16
Picnic shelters 1
Security Lighting  
Trash Barrels 2