Johnnie W. Walker Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Johnnie W. Walker Park

Johnnie W. Walker Park (formerly known as Grand Park) is located in the Grand Park area of northwest Jacksonville, southwest of the intersection of the M. L. King Jr. Expressway and Division Street. From at least 1940 to around 1955, the first Grand Park was located two blocks southeast of the present site, and by 1965 the park occupied most of its current location. After the opening of the community center in 1986, the City acquired an additional parcel for the swimming pool, which was completed in 1989. In 2005, the name was changed to honor Johnnie W. Walker (1937-2004) who devoted much of her life to community service. In addition to serving as president of the Grand Park and Brooklyn Community Associations, she actively worked for civil rights as a volunteer with the NAACP and the Democratic Party, and was also a sister of the Order of the Eastern Star. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Basketball Lighted 1
Benches 12
Bike racks 2
Bleachers 2
Car Parking 25
Community Center  
Football 1
Grills 2
Perimeter Site Fencing  
Picnic shelters 1
Picnic Tables 6
Playground Equipment 5
Restrooms 1
Sec