Ortega Hills Playground

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Ortega Hills Playground

The Ortega Hills Playground is located in the Ortega Hills area across from the Jacksonville Naval Air Station. The name Ortega derives from Joseph de Ortega, a judge during the second Spanish occupation of Florida from 1783-1821. In 1804, when John McIntosh bought the plantation that is present-day Ortega, he named it for the judge who facilitated his purchase of the property. Development of Ortega Hills began in 1954, and Devco Inc. donated the land for the park to Duval County in 1959. In recent years the local Community Association, led by its tireless founder Charles Zilla, lobbied for a new park that resulted in a major renovation in 2001. Park usage then increased dramatically, as people rushed to use the new facilities, which included landscaping and a walking/jogging trail around the perimeter. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Basketball 0
Benches 6
Bike racks 1
Drinking Fountain  
Grills 2
Perimeter Site Fencing  
Picnic shelters 1
Picnic Tables 3
Playground Equipment 2
Security Lighting  
Trash Barrels 4