The Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission determines whether a property meets the criteria for designation as a landmark or landmark site. The Commission forwards an advisory recommendation to the City Council, accompanied by a report of findings. In general, a structure must be at least 50 years old and meet at least two of the following criteria:
- It has value as a significant reminder of the cultural, historical, architectural, or archaeological heritage of the city, state or nation;
- Its location is the site of a significant local, state or national event;
- It is identified with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the development of the city, state or nation;
- It is identified as the work of a master builder, designer, or architect whose individual work has influenced the development of the city, state or nation;
- Its value as a building is recognized for the quality of architecture, and it retains sufficient elements showing its architectural significance;
- It has distinguishing characteristics of an architectural style valuable for the study of a period, method of construction, or use of indigenous materials;
- Its suitability for preservation or restoration.
"Reading the documents provided below requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader available for free from Adobe." Click here to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Click here for the list of landmarks as of June 2016, pdf file.
Local Historic Districts
Historic District designations recognize multiple properties. Historic Districts must meet at least two of the criteria identified above and the following:
- Its character is a geographically definable area or neighborhood possessing a significant concentration, or continuity of sites, buildings, objects or structures united in past events, or united in culture, architectural style, or aesthetically by plan or physical development.
The local historic districts are:
For More Information, please contact:
Historic Preservation Section
Planning and Development Department
214 North Hogan Street, Suite 300
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone: (904) 255-7859
Fax: (904) 255-7885