The Town Center Program is intended to revitalize older neighborhoods by providing planning, design and infrastructure improvements to public spaces along key business areas and corridors. The goal of this program is to:
- Enhance both the visual appeal and physical infrastructure in older neighborhoods' commercial areas and corridors;
- Feature community visioning and planning;
- Encourage public/private partnerships;
- Leverage public dollars by coordination with the Better Jacksonville Plan improvements in the areas; and
- Encourage renewal of old commercial areas that in turn will aid and serve the residential uses.
The Program provides funding for improvements to commercial areas of neighborhoods that are 30 years or older, experiencing decline, and classified as a collector or higher roadway.
The Town Center Program is administered in 3 phases:
- Phase 1- Visioning,
- Phase 2- Design & Engineering, &
- Phase 3- Implementation.
A total of 17 projects are currently included in the Town Center Program. Total funding for each Town Center project through the program is up to $1 million. All Town Center Phase 1 funding has been awarded, and no new applications are currently being accepted.
Completed Phase 1 Vision Plans
Please contact Kristen Reed, Chief of the Community Planning Division at (904) 255-7888 if you have any questions regarding the Town Center Program.