About the JSO
Annual Report to the Community:
The JSO Story
This seven minute video
, narrated by retired Undersheriff Frank Mackesy and produced in spring of 2011, tells the compelling story of our agency’s commitment to excellence. No public funds were used in the production of this video.
The mission of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is to protect the lives and property of the citizens of this community, to preserve the peace and to prevent crime and disorder while constantly guarding personal liberties as prescribed by law.
To achieve our mission we must develop and provide:
- a well-trained and disciplined patrol force capable of assessing and responding to the changing needs of the community it serves, to include delivering swift emergency response when required.
- a proactive traffic enforcement program designed to regulate traffic movement and assure safe and expedient travel on city streets
- a skilled and experienced investigative team for bringing criminal offenders to swift and impartial justice
- a community relations effort charged with educating the public about law enforcement issues, with emphasis on the community's role and responsibilities with respect to the prevention of crime
- an unrelenting quest to eliminate organized crimes and vice violations, with special emphasis on those associated with the distribution and sale of illegal drugs
- facilities for secure, humane, corrective and productive detention of those awaiting trial as well as those already sentenced.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office recognizes that we cannot fulfill our mission without community support. It is imperative that a dialogue characterized by mutual trust and open and honest communication be maintained between this agency and our community. It must include a willingness to continually examine and modify policies and procedures and assure that our mission is accomplished in a manner compatible with the best interests of the community.
COMMUNITY FOCUSED As such, it is the community who must define quality service. We will form partnerships with our citizens and listen to them. We will stay close. We will remember that every contact between a member of the community and any part of the Sheriff's Office is where community opinion is formed.
The community is our customer.
ALWAYS IMPROVING The only way we can improve our business is to improve our service. We are constantly in a learning mode. We are willing to examine what we do and make changes to improve.
Our business is service.
WORTHY OF TRUST We will safeguard that trust. We will keep our promises. Whether on or off duty, we will behave according to the highest set of ethical standards. We will protect the rights of all citizens.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office has achieved its reputation as a premier law enforcement agency because it has earned the trust of the community.
RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER one in which relationships are characterized by mutual respect. We will listen actively, talk straight and act fairly. We will encourage each other and every employee to contribute and grow to his/her fullest potential. We will work together as a TEAM and appreciate the contributions of all.
Employees deserve a decent working environment.