Born on December 2nd, 1952, in Washington D.C., Matthew “Matt” M. Schellenberg was the second of eleven children born to Bob & Kate Schellenberg. The family moved to Jacksonville in 1962, where Matt attended San Jose Catholic School and Bishop Kenny High School. After obtaining a golf scholarship, Matt attended St. Johns River Community College, and went on to graduate from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Political Science in 1975.
After college, Matt worked as an investment advisor before buying Movers Claim Services (MCS) in 1991. MCS handles claims for insurance companies throughout Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia, and specializes in furniture refinishing and repairs for corporations and private individuals.
Matt has two children. His son Andrew graduated from FSU with a Masters Degree in Finance and works at Price Water House, and his daughter Perri graduated from FSU with a Dietetics degree.
Matt has been involved in a number of charitable and civic organizations, as well as been a member and Chairman of numerous local, community boards.
- Bishop Kenny Finance Committee Member for 18 years - Chairman for 6 years
- Bishop Kenny Advisory Board Chairman for 5 years
- San Jose Country Club Board Member from 1987-1990 and 2002-2005
- Keep Jacksonville Beautiful Member & Chairman
- Jacksonville Jaguar Honor Row Committee Member for 17 years
- Greenscape Board Member from 1984-1987
- JCCI Member
- "Paint the Town" Participant for 9 years
- Volunteer YMCA basketball coach
- Bishop Kenny assistant golf coach for 12 years
- St. Pius Catholic School volunteer tutor for 2 years
- Started a golf program for under-privileged students at St. Pius Catholic School
- Shad Khan and Harry Frisch Scholarship Committee Member
- Member of the Florida League of Cities 2017-2018 Legislative Policy Committee on Finance, Taxation & Personnel
- Florida League of Cities and National League of Cities Member for 5 years
- Florida Association of Counties and the National Association of Counties for 5 years; serves as a member of the Finance and Audit Committee
- Serves on the Large Urban County Caucus of NACo (NACo Memo)
- Recipient of the 2017 Florida League of Cities Home Rule Hero Award
- Selected as a 2017 Presidential Advocate for the Florida Association of Counties