Born in Washington, D.C. in 1953, Jim Love was raised in a military family, living in Kansas City, Missouri and Orlando, Florida prior to receiving a Navy ROTC Scholarship to attend Auburn University in Alabama.
A graduate of Auburn’s School of Mechanical Engineering and the Navy ROTC Program, Jim was accepted into the Navy’s Pilot Training Program, and after receiving his wings in 1976, was assigned to fly the A-7E Corsair attack jet at NAS Cecil Field. After two Mediterranean Sea deployments and nearly 300 carrier landings, Jim and his wife, Robin, moved to Beeville, Texas, where Jim was now assigned by the Navy to be a jet flight instructor at NAS Chase Field.
After seven years of active duty, Jim moved back to Jacksonville and joined the Naval Air Reserve. Over the next 19 years, Jim commanded units at both NAS Cecil Field and NAS Jacksonville. In 1998, while he commanded NAS Jacksonville 0274, his unit won the Jacksonville Naval Air Reserve Augment Unit of the Year Award. In 2002, Jim completed his required annual active duty in Kuwait as an advisor for Operation “Lucky Sentinel”, and in 2003 - retired from the Naval Reserve at the rank of Captain.
In 1982 Jim received his MA in Business Administration from Webster University. In 1983, concurrent with his Naval Reserve duty, Jim started a State Farm Insurance agency in the historic district in Riverside. Jim continues to serve over 2300 families and has twice been selected as the Small Business Leader of the Year for the Downtown Council of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce.
As a Councilman, Jim has served as the floor leader, the chairman of the Waterways Committee and the Transportation, Energy and Utilities Committee as well as a liaison to the Jacksonville Port Authority, Keep Jacksonville Beautiful, the Jacksonville Public Library Board, Military Affairs and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. Jim has been awarded the Jake Godbold Award for his work with Keep Jacksonville Beautiful, the 2016 Outstanding Elected Official Award from the Florida Planning and Zoning Association and the 2015-2016 President's Award from City Council President, Greg Anderson.
Jim’s community involvement includes:
- Past President, Treasurer, and board member of the Downtown Council of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce
- Founding board member and President of the Park and King Area Association
- Past secretary and current member of the Meninak Club
- Past treasurer and current member of Riverside Avondale Preservation
- Past treasurer of the Riverside Fine Arts Association
- Past Chairman of the Deacons and current member of Riverside Baptist Church
- Member of the Society of Financial Service Professionals
- Member of the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors
- Life member of the Association of Naval Aviation and the Naval Reserve Association
He is married to the former Robin Lynn Carter and they have three sons: Jimmy, an RN at Baptist Hospital; Jason, an attorney with Crick and Love; and Jonathan, a graduate from the University of Florida and the Savannah College of Art and Design.