2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (If attending virtually, please join the meeting by 1:45 P.M.)
Notice is hereby given that the Honorable Ron Salem, Chairperson, hereby schedules a HYBRID IN PERSON/ ZOOM VIRTUAL MEETING FOR THE SPEICAL COMMITTEE ON OPIOID EPEDIMIC, VAPING, MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES FOR THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2020, 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM, IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS, Jacksonville, Florida. The purpose of the Zoom Meeting is to discuss Opioid updates and other items hereto pertaining as provided by the official charge of the Special Committee provided below and other topics thereto pertaining:
On July 21, 2017 the City Council established a Special Committee on the Opioid Epidemic. On July 6, 2018 and on October 22, 2019, the special committee was extended. This committee with the help and guidance of professionals from the substance abuse organizations and Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department (JFRD) developed a pilot program called Project Save Lives. This program is dedicated to assisting patients with severe addiction. Since its inception Project Save Lives has proved to drastically reduce the number of opioid related deaths.
Project Save Lives has been successful in reducing opioid related deaths as well as calls for service from JFRD. It is important that we continue to ensure the success of this program. I am asking this new committee to monitor the progress of the opioid epidemic and recommend suggestions for improvement and/or expansion of program Project Save Lives. It will remain the legislative body's vehicle in fighting the opioid crisis while working hand in hand with members of the Opioid Abuse Prevention Committee established by ordinance 2019-56-E.
Make recommendations in regards to vaping or use of electronic cigarettes. Provide updates on the vaping and use of electronic cigarettes, public service announcements, and the success of the City’s campaign to educate youth on the dangers of vaping.
Mental Health Resources.
Mental Health Resources and awareness resources are important tools. This Committee will provide a survey of the City and State funds and the recipient agencies thereof, and provide a summary of city and state mental health resources.
Council Member Ronald B. Salem, Pharm. D, Chair
Council Member Michael Boylan
Council Member Ju’Coby Pittman
Council Member Brenda Priestly-Jackson
Council Member Randy White
The Special Committee on Opioid Epidemic, Vaping and Mental Health Resources is tasked to report its findings and recommendations and any suggested legislation in regard to these topics by June 30, 2021.
The Zoom Virtual Meeting will be held on Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 2:00 P.M., and will be hosted virtually through the Zoom.US- computer application app.
In an effort to encourage social distancing and in accordance with Gov. DeSantis’ Executive Order Number 20-69, “Local government bodies may utilize communications media technology, such as telephonic and video conferencing, as provided in section 120.54(5)(b)2., Florida Statutes.” The Council will operate under the provisions of Ordinance 2020-200-E as adopted by the Council on April 7, 2020 hereto attached.
The public will be encouraged to share general comments with individual council members by email or telephone. Public hearings and public participation are required by state statute for specific legislation. We will conduct these hearings as required by state law. CCMeeting09222020@coj.net
is the designated email for general comments to be including as a part of this meeting.
WAYS FOR THE PUBLIC TO ACCESS THE MEETING:
Meeting ID: 999 6804 8103 Meeting Passwords: 627588
- Sign up for Zoom. Type - Zoom.US – with Chrome Internet Browser. Go to: JOIN A MEETING On Dash Board Information regarding the Zoom meeting ID and meeting password is listed below:
(You can LISTEN
to the meeting and VIEW
the meeting this way.
ALL PARTICPANTS WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN LEGALLY REQUIRED PUBLIC PARTICIPATION MUST LOG IN WITH (It would be helpful to identify bill to be addressed)
Full Name – IE: Cheryl L. Brown 2020-0200
- Watch it on your computer. Streaming site (or COJ streaming site):
Dial: 1 646 568 7788 - Meeting ID: 999 6804 8103 Password: 627588
- Joining a Zoom Meeting by phone:
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acKd7WL438
4. Attend the meeting in person at City Council Chambers, City Hall, 117 W. Duval Street, Jacksonville, Florida 32202.
WAYS FOR THE PUBLIC TO PARTICIPATE IN LEGALLY REQUIRED PUBLIC HEARINGS OR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION ZOOM MEETING
1. Refer to: City of Jacksonville Citizen Guide to Council Meetings (Attached)
2. Legal Name must appear on Zoom to be recognized by the Chair;
3. DO NOT
state your residence- address as this is not required in this forum – only state
County and Zip Code
4. Timeframe set by Chairman – No more than 3 minutes per speaker.
5. The Timer will be viewable. Must be in “Gallery View” to see countdown; Sort those in
meeting by going to “Participant” and typing in Timer.
6. Chairman will “ONLY”
call on speakers using the ELECTRONIC “RAISE HAND”
located within the Zoom App. This feature is found- Click on “Participants” scroll to the bottom
click on “Raise Hand”… wait to be recognized. (Must have a Microphone, Video, and Speakers
to participate with the function.)
INSTRUCTIONS: JOINING A MEETING BY DIAL-IN PHONE ONLY
- Dial numbers provided above. If you dial a toll number, your carrier rates will apply.
- You will be prompted to enter the meeting ID – the Meeting ID: 911 5856 5757 Meeting Password: 320702
- If the meeting has not already started and join before host is not enabled, you will be prompted to press # to wait if you are participant.
- You will be prompted to enter your unique participant ID. This only applies if you have joined on the computer or mobile device or are a panelist in a webinar. Press # to skip.
If you join by computer or mobile device later, you can enter the Participant ID to bind your phone and device session together and show your video when you speak on the phone. To enter your participant ID once you are in the meeting, enter #Participant ID#
on your phone.
PHONE CONTROLS FOR DIAL-IN PHONE ONLY PARTICIPANTS
The following commands can be entered via phone tones using your phone's dial pad while in a Zoom meeting:
ADA and TDD ASSISTANCE
- *6 - Toggle mute/unmute (While this is a function that is available the mute and unmute function will be controlled by the Host not the participant. To speak, the participant must use the *9 function to be recognized.)
- *9 - Raise hand (Electronic Zoom feature that “Must” be used to be recognized by the Chairman to Speak)
- Refer to: City of Jacksonville Citizen Guide to Council Meetings (Attached)
- Legal Name must appear on Zoom to be recognized by the Chair;
- DO NOT state your residence- address as this is not required in this forum – only state, County and Zip Code
- Timeframe set by Chairman – No more than 3 minutes per speaker.
- Phone in participate will be informed of remaining time.
- Chairman will “ONLY” recognize or call on speakers using the ELECTRONIC “RAISE HAND” feature located within the Zoom App *9 … wait to be recognized. (Must have a Microphone and Speakers on phone to participate with the function.)
Pursuant to the American with Disabilities Act, accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon request. Please allow 1-2 business days’ notification to process; last minute requests will be accepted, but may not be possible to fulfill. Please contact Disabled Services Division at: V- 904-255-5466, TTY-904-255-5476, or email your request to KaraT@coj.net
All legislative inquires contact Jessica Matthews, Chief of Legislative Services at 904 255 5169 or JMatthews@coj.net
. Please contact Dr. Cheryl L Brown, Director/Council Secretary at CLBrown@coj.net
904 255 5193 or refer to the information provided with the notice for specific contact information and/or details.
Please refer to the Jacksonville City Council Webpage at https://www.coj.net/city-council/events
for future meeting notices, cancellations and other notifications.
For general meeting information please contact Nikki Evans, NEvans@coj.net
Dr. Cheryl L Brown, Director/Council Secretary, at CLBrown@coj.net
or Jessica Matthews, Chief of Legislative Services, at JMatthews@coj.net