JACKSONVILLE, Florida, Sept. 4, 2020 – The much-awaited dog park in City Council District 3 is now open. A ribbon cutting was held this morning to celebrate the opening in time for families and dogs to enjoy during the Labor Day weekend. The dog park, located at Abess Park, 12743 Abess Blvd. near the corner of Girvin Rd. and Abess Blvd., will be open daily from dawn to dusk, and feature separate fenced areas for large dogs and small dogs. The large dog section will include a loop trail through the woodland area and an open grassy field for free play. Small dogs will be able to play in a shaded grassy field. Benches, drinking fountains and other amenities will be added for everyone’s enjoyment.
Councilman Aaron Bowman said, “This has been a desire of mine since taking office to provide our families a place to enjoy with their dogs. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, I felt strongly that we needed to open this dog park as quickly as possible to allow our constituents a safe and healthy alternative for experiencing the outdoors.”
Social distancing measures will be in place and masks will be required when an appropriate distance is unable to be maintained.
As a reminder, the dog park rules include:
- Dogs must be licensed and vaccinated with tags displayed on a collar. The owner should be prepared to show information.
- Dogs must be on a six-foot leash maximum before entering and upon leaving the park.
- Dogs showing aggression must be removed immediately.
- The owner must collect and dispose of all dog waste.
- Dogs must always be within sight and under voice control of the owner.
- Under no circumstance is an owner allowed to leave a dog unsupervised in the park.
- Choke chains, prong collars and head collars should be removed before letting dogs loose in the park.
- Dogs must be at least six months old.
- Female dogs in heat or pre-heat are not allowed in the park.
- Dogs displaying symptoms of illness are not allowed.
- Digging is not allowed.
- Animals other than dogs are prohibited.
- Children under age twelve must always be accompanied by an adult.
- Smoking, eating, and glass containers are prohibited.
- No more than three dogs per owner are allowed on any single visit.