Purpose: To provide a local forum for consideration and investigation of ethical problems and issues.
The Ethics Commission conducts monthly meetings open to the public. See the link to “Notices, Agendas & Minutes” for dates and times.
Additional Ethics Commission Links
- April 3, 2019 - Resolution recommending withdrawal of proposed Ordinance 2019-54 that would change the confirmation process for Ethics Commission members
- April 3, 2019 - Resolution recommending increase in Ms. Miller's salary of $10,860 for remainder of FY 2018-19
- May 23, 2019 - Resolution in support of proposed Ordinance 2019-393 imposing two year lobbying prohibition on board members that file Form 1 financial disclosure
- July 18, 2019 - Resolution supporting the State Ethics Commission's proposed rule enacting Amendment 12
- November 4, 2019 - Resolution supporting proposed changes to Jacksonville Ethics Code sections 602.401 and 602.411
- February 3, 2020 - Resolution authorizing Office of Ethics, Compliance and Oversight to receive full and unrestricted access to any and all records
- February 3, 2020 - Resolution authorizing addition of officers, non-appointed employees and independent contractors as individuals required to cooperate in official investigations
- September 30, 2020 - Resolution recommending reappointment of Ms. Miller
November 18, 2019 - Final Order Granting Petition For Exemption
In 1992, the City Council passed an ordinance creating the Jacksonville Ethics Commission. With the State of Florida's Commission on Ethics and city ethics ordinances, a local Commission brings a valuable service to city officers and employees by providing a forum for consideration of ethics problems and questions.
In 2002, the Public Information Office produced an award-winning 29-minute video. View the video.
Internal Operating Procedures of the Commission Adopted August 25, 2010. Amended March 7, 2019.
Ellen Schmitt, Chair
Darcy Galnor, Vice-Chair
Carla Miller, Executive Director of Office of Ethics, Compliance and Oversight
Kirby Oberdorfer, Deputy Director of Office of Ethics, Compliance and Oversight
Cherry Shaw, Office of General Counsel, Adviser