The City of Jacksonville declares that a diverse public workforce representative of our community is desirable and can be achieved through equal opportunity, equal access, and aggressive recruiting. There shall be no discrimination or harassment against any person with regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, marital status, or any other impermissible factor. Employment and advancement within the City of Jacksonville shall be based solely upon merit and qualification.
The Office of Equal Opportunity/Equal Access is responsible for handling the City’s EEO compliance function in accordance with requirements for contractors who are recipients of federal funds and grants. The City’s appointed officials/employees, managers and supervisors shall be responsible for complying with the EO/EA Program and ensuring that the principles of equal employment are applied to all terms of employment.
Provide professional and confidential Equal Opportunity/Equal Access services to job applicants, employees and management while striving to eliminate employment discrimination and public employment underutilization through education, collaboration, enforcement, and other proactive means.
Title XI, Chapter 400, Ordinance Code, City of Jacksonville
Mayor's Executive Order 2017-01
- Any applicant, employee, supervisor or management personnel who believes that the City's anti-discrimination policy was violated may, within 30 days of the alleged act, contact the Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Office for a consultation.
- All individuals involved in the internal process shall be free from restraint, interference, coercion, harassment, or retaliation with respect to their participation.
- All City of Jacksonville employees are authorized to utilize our services during their work hours. Verification of time and attendance will be provided if requested.
Though not a recipient of federal funds, the Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Office develops, submits and manages the City's Equal Employment Opportunity Plan, which establishes eligibility for all City agencies to apply and receive federal awards and grants.
Compliance covers many tasks, including but not limited to:
- Designing and implementing monitoring and reporting systems.
- Tracking statistical workforce data.
- Conducting workforce utilization analysis.
- Distributing workforce utilization reports to appropriate administration officers and officials.
- Providing guidance to Departments/Agencies/Authorities in the conduct of their EO/EA efforts.
- Preparing and submitting required federal EEO reports.
The following reports are available upon request:
- Workforce Utilization Report
- Equal Employment Opportunity Plans
- State and Local Government Information (EEO-4)
Contact the EO/EA Office:
Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Office
117 W. Duval Street, Suite 350
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone: 904-255-5377 -or- 904-255-5676
The Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Office is located on the 3rd floor of the St. James Building and is staffed Monday through Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm). Appointments are not required, but recommended to enable staff to provide you with their undivided attention, and prevent walk-in visits during times the staff may be unavailable due to training or conducting other investigation activities.
City employees are authorized to utilize EO/EA Office services during work hours. Verification of time and attendance can be provided if requested.
Individuals who believe they have been the victims of conduct prohibited by City policy or who believe they have witnessed such conduct may also send a confidential email to the Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Reporting email: COJAHAD@coj.net.