Military Affairs and Veterans
Welcome to the City of Jacksonville, Military Affairs and Veterans (MAV) Department. We have an amazing and talented team of professionals who are dedicated to providing you with timely and competent services and answers to your questions.
The MAV team functions within the following three priorities:
- First, we are an advocate for the expansion of military infrastructure, personnel, and jobs within the City of Jacksonville and throughout Northeast Florida. The department team works closely with military, business, community, and elected leaders at the local, state, and national levels to deliver a compelling message that Jacksonville is the most "Military and Veteran Friendly City in the United States" and that Jacksonville is strategically important to the security posture of the nation.
- Second, the MAV department is committed to delivering timely and competent services to our large and growing Veteran community. MAV staff is ready to assist Veterans, their survivors and their caregivers who seek access to pensions, healthcare, disability ratings, GI Bill, and other earned benefits.
- Third, the MAV department sponsors and promotes city-wide events to publically recognize the service and sacrifice of the military men and women serving at area installations, and the large and growing Veterans population in Jacksonville and across Northeast Florida.
The Military Affairs and Veterans Department is committed to serving veterans and their families. Following the COVID-19 outbreak, our department has resumed in-person services.
To meet with a Veteran Service Officer, please call (904) 255-5550. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are recommended at this time. Veteran Service Officers will be in the office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Veteran Service Officers will be working remotely. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, please call (904) 255-5550 to be assigned to a Veteran Service Officer via telephone.
Social Service Counselors are available to assist veterans in-person Monday through Friday. Thanks to the Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation, the City of Jacksonville Military Affairs and Veterans Department can assist qualifying Veterans with a past due rent or utility bill. Our office provides direct financial assistance and/or budget counseling to Veterans in need using the same income standards as the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Income must not exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Line. Please call (904) 255-5550 to make a social services appointment. You must have an appointment for social services.
Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program
The Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program (HVRP) will be operating Monday through Friday during normal business hours. Walk-ins are welcome.
Social Distancing Procedures:
- Anyone from the public entering City owned public buildings must wear a mask inside the building. Masks will be provided for anyone who does not have one, and pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, accommodations may be available for individuals who are unable to wear a mask, as determined on a case by case basis.
- Visitors shall, upon each entry to the building, complete a screening and have their temperature taken with a contactless infrared thermometer. The Screening Form will be kept confidential and will be turned in to the Medical Desk in Employee Services each day.
Thank you again for visiting the City of Jacksonville, Military Affairs and Veterans Department website. Please contact us at one of the following numbers, or visit our offices in City Hall, if we can be of any assistance.
Military Affairs matters: (904) 255-5522
Veteran Services: (904) 255-5550
Please feel free to contact our Director, Bill Spann, should you need additional assistance. He can be reached at email@example.com or 904-255-5521.
City Hall at St. James Building
117 W. Duval St., Suite 175