The Jacksonville Environmental Protection Board has been given authority to promulgate and adopt local environmental rules pursuant to Chapter 360.108, Municipal Ordinance Code. The rules are adopted from state and federal regulations or based upon studies and best management practices. All rules are presented at a public hearing with participation of affected parties or industries.
Periodically the JEPB may undertake the rulemaking process to create new rules or update existing ones. In order tod o so, opportunties will be provided for the public to review proposed language and offer comments.
JEPB Rule 3 - Water Pollution
Jacksonville Environmental Protection Board Rule 3 – Water Pollution (JEPB Rule 3) was initially adopted in 1984 and has since undergone six (6) revisions. The last revision of JEPB Rule 3 was ten years ago in 2011. Public health concerns and the need for water quality improvement necessitate revision of JEPB Rule 3 to enact local measures to decrease the frequency and quantity of sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs) from wastewater collection and transmission systems regulated by JEPB Rule 3. The proposed schedule is outlined below:
- Discuss potential Rule 3 rulemaking schedule September 20, 2021
- Submit Request to Mayor October 26, 2021
- Deadline for Mayoral Response December 26, 2021
- Begin communication about rulemaking January 13, 2022
- Open Public Comment Period February 14, 2022
- Rule 3 Workshop February 16th 3 – 4 pm via Zoom
- JEPB Monthly Meeting February 22nd
- Publish Rulemaking Notice February 28, 2022
- Close Public Comment Period March 11, 2022
- Rule 3 Public Hearing March 21, 2022
- Publish Final Rule Notice March 23, 2022
- Final Rule Effective April 12, 2022
Check back for more information.