Deadline to apply
November 5, 2021 @ 11:59 P.M.
The program is designed to award sponsorships to individuals with disabilities that are in need of financial assistance in the completion of a technical or vocational certificate/school program (Please see approved programs). Each applicant may receive up to $2,500. Applicants can only participate in the program once and cannot be a recipient of the Jim Brady Scholarship.
Who may apply?
Any individual with a qualifying disability that graduated with a high school diploma or GED in Duval County that currently resides in Duval County may apply provided they meet all the eligibility requirements.
Note: Qualifying Disability is defined as any disability recognized by the Social Security Administration, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation or Division of Blind Service.
Sponsorship Funds may be used for tuition, lab fees, books/tools, supplies, licensure/certification fees* and/or necessary auxiliary at any accredited community college, university, vocational or technical school located in Duval County. Funds will be paid directly to the vender *or to the state/local government entity in the case of licensure/certification fees.
Disclaimer: These funds cannot be used for degree seeking programs.
- Reside in Duval County
- Have a qualifying disability
- Graduated with a high school diploma or GED from a Duval County School and/or a Duval County adult education program.
- Transcript of grades. Applicants must include high school, vocational -tech or college transcripts of grades from each school attended. Grade reports are not accepted.
- Completed application with supporting documentation (Any applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.)
- Official proof of enrollment in an approved technical/vocational program, or documentation of recent graduation from an approved program when requesting funds for licensure/certification fees. (Approved certificate programs include but not limited to, fire science, heavy equipment operation, HVAC, machinery, manufacturing, pipefitting, plumbing, and welding or other similar trade -related program.)
- A minimum of 250 to a maximum of 500 word essay explaining how your disability has affected your life and how this sponsorship will assist you in obtaining your career goal.
- Two (2) professional reference letters.
- If receiving services through Division of Vocational Rehabilitation or Division of Blind Service, you must submit current counselor contact information.
How to Apply?
Mail with all supporting documents to:
City of Jacksonville
Disabled Services Division
117 West Duval Street, Suite 205
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Or email with all supporting documents to:
Mark Roesser Technical and Vocational Sponsorship Application (.docx)
Mark Roesser Technical and Vocational Sponsorship Application (.pdf)
Contact Lois Smokes for additional information at 904-255-5466, email MayorsDisabilityCoun@coj.net or visit website www.adajax.com