NatureScope Schedule Winter-Spring 2019
January 01, 2019 - April 30, 2019
For information on programs or to schedule field trips, please call (904) 573-2498 or email Schubert@coj.net.
Come join our Park Naturalist for NatureScope Winter - Spring 2019 Events!
View the NatureScope Calendar Winter-Spring 2019
- Florida’s Living Symbols: Here’s your chance to learn more about the plants and animals chosen to serve as official symbols of our state. Non-living specimens will be viewed.
- Animals at Risk: Learn about Florida’s endangered and threatened wildlife. Non-living specimens will be shown.
- Civil War Changes: Learn about how the four years of the Civil War (1861-1865) changed the landscape of Northeast Florida and its effect on the area’s flora and fauna as well as the people.
- Creature Comforts: Ever wonder why an animal lives where it does? This program will help answer that question. Animal pelts and replica skulls will be used.
- Her History: In honor of Women’s History month, join us for a brief introduction to women of the Civil War period and those in natural sciences.
- Reptiles for Real: Learn more about the reptiles of Northeast Florida by studying living and non-living specimens of turtles and snakes.
- Marsh Mammals: Learn about the varieties of mammals that live in a marsh habitat. Non-living specimens will be shown.
- Florida’s Ancient Animals: Join us for a discussion of the animals that lived in prehistoric Florida. We’ll examine replica teeth from Mammoth, Mastodon and Megalodon.
- Wild Canines & Felines of Florida: Join us for a discussion and comparison of cat and dog family members that live wild in Florida. Animal pelts and replica skulls will be used.
- Bike Hikes: Join these leisurely nature - based rides along the Jacksonville-Baldwin Rails to Trails. Bring your own bikes. Riders age 16 and under must wear helmets. Meet at Camp Milton Historic Preserve Parking Lot, 1175 Halsema Road N..
- Beach Walk and Talk: Set out on a guided tour of Huguenot Memorial Park and portions of the Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Discovery Walk: Join a parks naturalist for a leisurely walk highlighting our preserves.
- Breathe with Trees: Join a parks naturalist for a leisurely walk in the fresh air and learn about the trees that help provide our oxygen.
- Winter Walk: Enjoy an easy seasonal walk at one of our preserves guided by a parks naturalist.
- Outdoor Observations: Exercise your powers of observation while on a guided walk.
- Hike into History: Join a parks naturalist for a walk and learn about the area’s Civil War history.
- Trail Walk: Leisurely explore various trails in Northeast Florida with a guided tour.
- Guided Walk: Join us for a leisurely guided walk on the Tower Trail.
- Spring Search: Enjoy an easy seasonal walk at one of our preserves guided by a parks naturalist as we search for signs of spring.
- Wildflower Walk: Join a parks naturalist as we seek out seasonal wildflowers.
Outdoor programs are presented weather permitting.
Please note that programs may be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Beach and Peach Urban Park + 10013 Anders Blvd.
- Blue Cypress Park 4012 University Blvd. (Meet at fishing pier)
- Castaway Island Preserve 2921 San Pablo Road S.
- Camp Milton Historic Preserve 1225 Halsema Road N.
- Cedar Point Preserve * + 7116 Cedar Point Road
- Dutton Island Preserve Expansion * + 783 Dutton Island Drive
- Huguenot Memorial Park * $ 10980 Heckscher Drive (Meet at Nature Center)
- Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park * $ 500 Wonderwood Drive
- Julington-Durbin Preserve * + 13200 Bartram Park Blvd.
- Losco Regional Park * 10851 Hood Road S. (Meet at trailhead)
- McGirts Creek Preserve * 8435 118th Street (Meet at first soccer pavilion)
- Palmetto Leaves Regional Park * 13799 Old St. Augustine Rd. (South Entrance)
- Reddie Point Preserve * + 4499 Yachtsman Way (Meet at pavilion next to pier)
- Ribault River Preserve + 2601 Ribault Scenic Drive
- Jacksonville-Baldwin Rails to Trails 1225 Halsema Road N.
- Sal Taylor Creek Preserve * 5873 Nathan Hale Road
- Tillie K. Fowler Regional Park * 7000 Roosevelt Blvd. (Meet at Nature Center)
Terrain may not be suitable for strollers *
Restroom may not be available +
Fee required to enter the park $