Legislative Authority: Chapter 94, Ordinance Code
Total Members: 7
- Act as a coordinator for programs, projects, and activities related to planting projects and the health of the tree canopy between all public and private entities;
- Review expenditure proposals and plans for planting projects;
- Prioritize, with the input of District Council members, proposed planting projects based on established criteria for recommendation to the Council, and, when requested, the Commission may also make recommendations on other proposed tree planting projects;
- Show More
- Formulate a recommended priority project list, including an estimated implementation cost for each item, for tree planting and canopy maintenance, and to thereafter annually review the priority project list and report recommendations to the Mayor's Office;
- Help coordinate the maintenance of an inventory of the urban tree canopy with an emphasis on historic trees, exceptional specimen trees and other unique environmentally significant trees within the City;
- Assist in the establishment of educational and outreach programs to encourage proper management and maintenance of trees on private property in the City;
- Conduct research studies, collect and analyze data and prepare maps, charts, and plans for the accomplishment of its purposes;
- Identify issues relative to the health and protection of public trees and recommend solutions to problems identified;
- Recommend to and help develop opportunities for the City's grant writing office for grants and solicitation of donations to support the City's tree canopy;
- Perform an annual audit of funded projects, the status of the inventory, and tree permits submitted to the City to be included in an annual report to the Mayor's Office and City Council;
- Develop and maintain a tree canopy and existing tree inventory.
Meeting Date: Monthly meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. in Conference Room C, St. James Building, 3rd Floor; 117 W. Duval Street; Jacksonville, FL 32202. (Meeting times and locations are subject to change.)
Public Meeting Notice*
* Reading the pdf documents on this page requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Tree Planting Programs
Level 1 Tree Planting Program (program description and approved tree planting list)
Level 2 Tree Planting Program (application, staff checklist, and approved tree planting list)
Level 3 Tree Planting Program (instructions, grant agreement, application, and approved tree planting list)
Urban Planner or Practicing Attorney - This committee position is appointed by the City Council President and interested individuals should possess specialized knowledge regarding trees to the fullest extent possible. Preference is for a candidate that resides in an At Large Council Group other than At Large Group 4. Please complete and submit the application form to be considered.
Archived Meeting Information: