Registraton & Renewal

You can register your vessel at any Duval County Tax Collector's Office or by mail.

As agent for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the Tax Collector is responsible for providing the necessary service and record-keeping procedures used in processing vessel titles and registrations. All motorized vessels, commercial and private, must be registered, titled and issued a decal before they can be used in Florida waters. The decal must be affixed to the port side of the boat.

Vessel registrations are renewed during your birth month.
Vessel registration fees are based on the length of the boat.

Obtaining a Florida Boat Title Application with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin

The Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) must be completed and notarized by the selling dealer/store for all new boats. A dealer sales tax statement, proof of sales tax paid, or Form DR40 (Sales Tax Exemption) must be provided, or sales tax must be paid.

Application with a Florida Title

To transfer a Florida title of a used boat to the new owner, the "transfer of title by seller" section must be completed by seller(s) and purchaser(s). If the vessel is purchased through a dealer, the dealer reassignment also must be completed. Sales tax must be paid, or Form DR40 (sales tax exemption) must be provided at the time of application. Boat registration must be transferred at the time of title transfer.  All transfers of ownership must be completed within 30 days of the date the vehicle is assigned by the seller or a $10.00 fee is levied at the time of transfer.

Application with an Out-of-State Title or Registration

Many states do not require boats to be titled. Proof of ownership on a used boat from a non-title state is the most current vessel registration (photo copies are not acceptable). A notarized bill of sale is required with the registration to transfer ownership. You will also need to provide a pencil tracing (if applicable) of the hull identification number at the time of registration. If a title is available, it must be completed and notarized (if applicable) along with DHSMV form 82040 (Application Form) for transfer processing.

Transient Vessels

A non-resident boater with a valid out-of-state registration certificate may use his/her vessel in Florida waters for 90 days without applying for a Florida registration. This applies to pleasure boats only. If the non-resident intends to use the craft in Florida waters longer than 90 days, the boat must be registered with the DHSMV which is processed at the Tax Collector's Office.