General Information

For a list of driver license services offered at our office locations click here.  
  • Road testing, learner license testing, commercial driver license testing and hazmat testing at our Beach, Cedar Hills, Commonwealth, Gateway, Hogan at Beach, Kernan, Mandarin, North Jax, and Yates Branches are available by appointment by clicking here.  Please note that Road Tests are not offered at Cedar Hills, Kernan, and the Yates branches. Also, Driver License tests with a translator are conducted, only, at the Gateway and Mandarin branches.
  • Computer testing and driving tests require an appointment.  
  • Per Florida Statute 322.56(3)(b) and (e), a customer who takes (and passes) the Class E Knowledge or Skills Exam through an authorized Third Party Administrator may be randomly selected for a mandatory re-test without prior notice. After a re-test with a passing score is completed in a driver license or tax collector office, the driver license will be issued. A failed mandatory re-test will require a re-exam fee be collected at the next exam attempt.

Driver License handbooks can be downloaded here.

You may contact our call center at (904) 630-1916 to speak with a customer service representative. 

Due to the driver privacy protection act (DPPA), specific information about your driving record will not be discussed over the phone, but may be obtained by visiting or visiting one of our offices in person. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles customer service representatives can be reached at (850)617-2000.


An additional $6.25 service fee is charged for all driver license services provided by all Florida Tax Collectors.  To view a complete listing of driver license fees please, visit

Laws and Identification Requirements

For current information concerning driver license laws, please visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website. Due to the REAL ID ACT, Florida has very detailed and specific document requirements for obtaining a driver’s license or identification card. To see the identification requirements click below.

Name Change for United States Citizens

U.S. citizens must use the name from their primary identification.  When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders or divorce decrees must be provided to link the name on the primary identification to the name that you would like to place on your driver license or identification card.  One of the following original or certified documents is required to process a name change for a U.S. Citizen:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Court order
  • Naturalization papers
  • Divorce decree
Also, keep in mind whatever name you use MUST be verified through the Social Security Administration (SSA), so the name must match the name you use with the Social Security Administration. Therefore, you MUST change your name with the Social Security Administration before doing so on your driver license.  Paper verification of a name change with the SSA is not sufficient.  You should wait at least two business days before going to a DHSMV office or Tax Collector office to give the SSA sufficient time to update their database.