Residents Can Apply Online Starting tomorrow
Since June, the City of Jacksonville’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program has distributed over $15 million of federal funds to provide rent and utility assistance to Duval County residents. With approximately $10 million remaining, the City will reopen the application portal starting Friday, September 3, 2021 at 8:00 am. Applications will be accepted continuously until all funds are expended.
The funds will be available to citizens to cover up to 12 months of rent and utility payments with the option for an additional three months if determined necessary to ensure housing stability. Partnering agencies JEA and the United Way of Northeast Florida will continue administering the program.
Federal guidelines require qualifying individuals and families to have an income that falls below 80% of the area median income. The income requirements are as follows:
In addition to the income prerequisite, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A resident of Duval County (this includes the Beaches and the Town of Baldwin)
- Part of an “Eligible household” as defined by the Act as follows:
An “Eligible household” must include one or more individuals who are obligated to pay rent on a residential dwelling in Duval County and must also demonstrate all three criteria below:
1. One or more individuals within the household has:
- qualified for unemployment benefits, or
- experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to COVID-19 and can attest to such in writing;
2. One or more individuals within the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
- a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice;
- unsafe or unhealthy living conditions; or
- any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the City; and
3. The household has a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income (AMI) for the household.
Priority must be provided to households that have incomes at or below 50% AMI or have one or more members who have been unemployed for at least 90 days.
Residents can apply online beginning Friday, September 3 at 8 a.m.
The online application is available by visiting www.coj.net/erap
. For additional information, see the FAQs
or call (904) 630-2489 (CITY).
This project is being supported, in whole or in part, by federal award number ERA0269 awarded to the City of Jacksonville by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.