January 23, 2019 is the anniversary of the day Hemming Park was conveyed to the City of Jacksonville.
The land where the park is currently located was set aside in 1861 by city founder, Isaiah David Hart, for use as a public square and given to the city in a “10-dollar exchange.”
In the early years, the site was known as “City Park,” and as the town of Jacksonville grew, the park became known as “St. James Park,” referencing one of the city’s largest and most prestigious hotels adjacent to the property.
It was renamed Hemming Park by lawmakers in 1899.