As Tropical Storm Idalia approaches Florida, the City of Jacksonville Emergency Operations Center (EOC) continues to collaborate with local and state agencies as they track and monitor for any potential impacts.
- A Local State of Emergency has been declared by Mayor Donna Deegan and the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) was activated Monday, August 28 at 8 AM.
- A State of Emergency has been declared by Governor Ron DeSantis.
- Currently, Idalia is anticipated to strengthen into a potential Category 3 Hurricane before making landfall around the Big Bend area.
- There will be a potential for storm surge, localized flooding in vulnerable neighborhoods, and winds up to 58 MPH. Citizens are encouraged to review their emergency preparedness plans, and be prepared.
- Government Offices will be closed to non-essential personnel Tuesday, August 29 and Wednesday, August 30.
- The Duval County Clerk of Courts offices will be closed from Tuesday, August 29 through Thursday, August 31. This includes both the Duval County Courthouse and the Clerk’s beaches branch at 1543 Atlantic Blvd.
- All Duval County Public Schools will be closed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (August 29 – 31).
- Curbside Garbage, Recycling, and Yard Waste collection will be suspended Wednesday, August 30. Make-up collections will occur Saturday, September 2.
- JEA has suspended disconnection due to non payment starting at 9:00 a.m. this morning until further notice.
- Currently, no evacuations have been ordered. However the following six shelters will open Tuesday, August 29 at 12 PM:
- The Legends Center - (5130 Soutel Dr.), open for general population and special needs.
- Chimney Lakes Elementary – (9353 Staples Mill Dr.), open for general population and pet-friendly.
- Landmark Middle - (101 Kernan Blvd), open for general population and pet-friendly.
- Atlantic Coast High - School (9735 R.G. Skinner Pkwy), special needs only.
- Oceanway Elementary – (12555 Gillespie Ave.), open for general population.
- LaVilla School of the Arts - (501 N. Davis St.), open specifically for homeless individuals.
Visit jaxready.com/idalia for more information.