Volunteers are needed for the 26th Annual St. Johns River Celebration, Saturday, March 20, from 8 a.m. to noon (times vary according to cleanup site). Participants will help spruce up the city by collecting litter and debris from dozens of pre-selected riverfront and inland sites (sites are listed below). The City and Keep Jacksonville Beautiful are hosting the event in partnership with the Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Inland Navigation District and Surfing’s Evolution & Preservation Foundation as part of the Florida Great American Cleanup, a statewide effort to protect the environment throughout the spring.
Participants must be 18 years old or accompanied by an adult; advance registration is not required. Trash bags, gloves and tickets will be provided at the event locations. Community service certificates will be available for students. Directly following the cleanup, volunteers are invited to attend an appreciation event at the Riverside Arts Market from noon to 2 p.m., where they can redeem their tickets for refreshments and T-shirts (while supplies last).
For more information or to register call (904) 255-8276 or visit COJ.net, keywords: St. Johns River Celebration or KJB.
2021 St. Johns River Celebration Cleanup Sites
Arlington/Beaches - 8 – 11 a.m.
Exception: Volunteers must arrive before 9:30 a.m. to participate.
- 16th Avenue South at the Ocean (8 – 10 a.m.)
- All Wet Sports/Beach Boulevard Boat Ramp, 8508 Beach Blvd.
- Leonard Abess Park, 12743 Leonard Abess Blvd.
- Arlington Lions Club Park, 4221-2 Richard Denby Gatlin Rd.
- Seagate Avenue at the Ocean (8 – 10 a.m.)
- Beach Boulevard at the Ocean (8 – 10 a. m.)
- Blue Cypress Park, 4012 University Blvd. N.
- Castaway Island Preserve, 2921 San Pablo Rd. S.
- Exchange Island Canoe/Kayak required. Meet at Arlington Road Boat Ramp, 5137 Arlington Rd.
- Ft. Caroline National Memorial, 12713 Fort Caroline Rd. (9 – 11 a.m.)
- Glynlea Park, Meet at ball field, 6801 Altama Road
- Mike McCue Park and Boat Ramp, 2510 2nd Ave. N (9 – 11 a.m.)
- Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park, 500 Wonderwood Rd.
Urban/Riverside Avondale/San Marco/Murray Hill/Springfield - 9 – 11 a.m.
- Reddie Point Preserve, 4499 Yachtsman Way
- Lonnie Wurn Boat Ramp/Ft. Caroline Club Park, 4131 Ferber Rd.
Southwest - 9 – 11 a.m.
- Azalea/Boone Park, 3700 Park St.
- Fishweir Creek/Fishweir Park, 3999 Valencia Rd.
- Hollybrook Park, 319 Cherokee St.
- Klutho Park, Meet in parking lot across from the VA, 1536 N. Jefferson St. (9:45 a.m.– 12 p.m.)
- Henry L. Brown Kooker Park, 2909 Bennett St.
- Memorial Park, 1620 Riverside Ave.
- Murray Hill Playground, 4226 Kingsbury St.
Southeast - 8 – 11 a.m.
- Wayne B. Stevens Boat Ramp, 4555 Ortega Farms Blvd.
Northwest - 9 – 11 a.m.
- Beach & Peach Urban Park, 10013 Anders Blvd.
- Burnett Park, 3740 Burnett Park Rd.
- Mandarin Park (Mandarin Boat Ramp), 14780 Mandarin Rd.
- River Oaks Park/Craig Creek, 1000 River Oaks Rd.
- Pine Forest, 2174 Thomas Ct.
- Walter Jones Historical Park & County Dock Boat Ramp, 11964 Mandarin Rd.
Northeast - 8 – 11 a.m.
- Lonnie Miller Park, 5054 Soutel Dr.
- Charles Reese Memorial Park, 7260 Ken Knight Drive W.
North - 8 – 11 a.m.
- Big/Little Talbot Island State Park
- Huguenot Memorial Park, 10980 Heckscher Dr.
Note: This list is subject to change.
- North Shore Park, 7901 Pearl St. (9 – 11 a.m.)
- Oceanway Park, 12215 Sago Ave.