In May of 2021 the City Council engaged in a Strategic Planning Session. During that time the Council established improving Parks and Community Centers as one of the top five Council Priorities.
This committee was formed to address the current and future needs of parks, community centers, learning centers as well as quality of life matters throughout the city. This committee will be charged with making recommendations for the distribution and oversight of $100M allocated in FY ’21-’22 budget. The focus of this committee will be to ensure that citywide parks and community centers meet a consistent level of services to ensure a high quality of life for all citizens.
The committee is charged with providing a detailed report that will include but is not limited to the following matters:
- Complete an evaluation on current levels of services for citywide parks, senior centers, learning facilities and community centers;
- Review and address the current backlog of maintenance needs of citywide parks, senior centers, learning facilities and community centers;
- Provide recommendations for improvements to citywide parks, senior centers, learning facilities and community centers to address infrastructure, maintenance and safety needs;
- Complete an assessment of past and current youth and senior programming to evaluate impacts and accessibility for all citizens; and
- Assess status of current recreational and learning facilities and provide recommendations for improving connectivity and providing a supportive learning environment for citizens of all ages.
The Special Committee on Parks and Community Centers is tasked to report its findings and recommendations and any suggested legislation in regard to these topics by June 30, 2022.
Randy White, Chair
Randy DeFoor - Vice Chair
Colleen Hampsey, Research Assistant
Office of the City Council
117 W. Duval St., Suite 430
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone: (904) 255-5151
FAX: (904) 255-5230
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address published, do not send electronic mail to City Council Members or staff. Instead, contact the City Council by phone or in writing.
Meetings as Noticed
City Hall - St. James Building
117 W. Duval Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Reading the pdf documents on this page requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader available free from Adobe.
August 4, 2021
117 W. Duval St., 1st Floor
Notice | Agenda