Camp Milton Historic Preserve

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Camp Milton Historic Preserve

The Camp Milton Historic Preserve is located in west Jacksonville, and acquired significance during the American Civil War that lasted from April 1861 to May 1865. Three miles of earth and timber fortifications were erected along the west bank of McGirts Creek in February/March 1864, as over 8,000 troops arrived at the site to provide the first line of defense against the Union forces in Jacksonville. The camp was named in honor of John Milton (1807-1865), Florida’s governor during most of the Civil War. After a portion of the remaining earthworks was discovered in 1973, efforts began to acquire the property. The State of Florida purchased the initial tract in 1981 and later leased it to the City, which acquired additional acreage through the work of Preservation Project Jacksonville and its non-profit partners. The major development project was completed in the summer of 2006, and the new preserve opened to the public in September. Additional features:
Amenity Count
  2
Benches 10
Bike racks 1
Car Parking 51
Community Center  
Drinking Fountain  
Perimeter Site Fencing  
Trails Unpaved (Miles) 0
Visitor/Interpretive Center