Joe James Center

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Joe James Center

The Joe James Center is located in northwest Jacksonville, at the intersection of Grunthal Street and Hurst Place. Across the street from the Center resides Grunthal Park, which was initially developed around 1945, probably as a Negro facility known as the Joe James Playground. The City purchased the site for the community center in 1959, and it was named at the opening in August 1963. Joe H. James, Jr. (1892-1966) was a white real estate broker, who organized and directed the Jacksonville Negro Welfare League during the 1920’s and 30’s, and also served as chairman of both the Colored Division of the Community Chest and the Charity Agency Federation. At the request of City Council Member Denise Lee, the City renovated the Center in 1994, and with the support of City Council Member Gwen Yates, completed another improvement project in 2002. As of July 2006, the Center is closed, opening only for special events. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Community Center