John Stockton Elementary School Park

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About John Stockton Elementary School Park

The park is located at the John Stockton Elementary School in the Ortega Forest section of Jacksonville, which comprised part of a large plantation that was named Ortega in 1804. The original Ortega subdivision was platted in 1909 by the Ortega Company headed by John N.C. Stockton (1857-1922), but it was not until 1946 that the development of Ortega Forest began during the post-War migration to the suburbs. Built in 1955, the school was named for Mr. Stockton, who is best remembered for his devoted public service. He worked tirelessly distributing relief finds during the yellow fever epidemic of 1888, chaired the Board of Public Works through the financial crisis of 1893 and after the Great Fire of 1901, and often gave of his time and means to his fellow citizens. A recent improvement project was completed at the park in 2003. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Basketball Lighted 3
Benches 4
Bike racks 1
Bleachers 2
Car Parking 79
Picnic shelters 1
Picnic Tables 9
Playground Equipment 11
Soccer 1
Softball Youth 1
Tennis Hard 2
Trails Paved (Miles) 0
Trash Barrels 7