Sweetwater Playground

     
Rated for
 

Available Amenities

Artificial Reef Bait & Tackle Baseball Basketball Benches Beach Pier Bike Racks Bike Trail Birding Trail Boat Dock Boat Fuel Boat Pumpout Boat Ramp Boat Trailer Parking Canoe Rental Community Center Concession Stand Drinking Fountain Equestrian Trail Fishing Available Football Golf Grills Hiking Trail Nonmotorized Launch Kayak Rental Lighting Manatee Education Multipurpose Field On the water Paddle Board Rental Parking PWC Rental Picnic Shelters Picnic Tables Playground Restaurant Restrooms RiverWalk Sailboard Rental Sailboat Rental Scenic Overlook Skate Park Soccer Surfing Swimming Pool Tennis Trash Barrels

About Sweetwater Playground

Sweetwater Playground is located in the Sweetwater section of southwest Jacksonville, in a region settled by freed slaves after the Civil War. According to local legend, the area got its name when a barrel of syrup fell off a wagon into the branch. Between 1949 and 1953, the Sweetwater Park subdivision was developed around the park site and populated mainly by African-Americans. A few blocks from the playground resides the former Cedar Hills Armory that was built about 1957 and is now a City community center. Duval County acquired the land for the park in 1956, but during the construction of Interstate 295, the playground equipment was removed and the site remained vacant until 1980, when the City re-established the playground. A major improvement project was completed about 1992, and the amenities at that time still exist in 2005. Additional features:
Amenity Count
Basketball Lighted 1
Benches 5
Car Parking 18
Grills 1
Perimeter Site Fencing  
Picnic shelters 1
Picnic Tables 2
Playground Equipment 2
Restrooms 1
Security Lighting  
Trash Barrels 2