11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Please join the meeting by 11:20 A.M.)
Notice is hereby given that the Honorable Samuel Newby, Acting-Council President of the Jacksonville City Council, hereby approves the ZOOM VIRTUAL MEETING FOR THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL JUSTICE AND COMMUNITY INVESTMENT, Co-Chaired by the Honorable Matt Carlucci and Honorable Brenda Priestly Jackson in conjunction with Special Committee on Social Justice and Community Investment, Members of the Jacksonville City Council, and other elected or appointed members of Boards and Commission are invited to attend – Zoom Meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 28, 2020, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM - No location- Jacksonville, Florida. The purpose, background and charge of the Committee are to discuss:
Since before the City of Jacksonville and Duval County Consolidated in 1968, disparities have persisted in employment, health care, education and infrastructure within certain areas of the City, as evidenced particularly in the original urban core area. These discrepancies have created an adverse impact on the populations of those who reside in these areas over an extended period of time and some of those living in such neighborhoods have indicated that they feel “left behind.” In recent months it has become ever apparent that the City, like the state and the nation, must be proactive in focusing on solutions and policies that can be timely implemented to address this ongoing disparate impact to bring equal access and equality to all of the City’s citizens.
The committee is established to serve as a clearinghouse for all ideas, policies and legislation pertaining to three main areas: (i) social injustices; (ii) law enforcement; and (iii) economic development (which encompass employment, education and infrastructure issues). The goal of the committee is to further equal access and opportunity for all citizens of Jacksonville and to strive to establish programs and policies which serve to eradicate systemic bias as well as honor the unfulfilled promises of consolidation. The committee should engage in active listening of those adversely affected by the decisions of the past which has created historic inadequacies as well as to address current issues which further disparate outcomes. Through an open and frank dialogue of the issues affecting the City, it is my hope that the committee can leverage the momentum spurred by current events and work with community representatives, stakeholders, and community organizations in the process to address present and past inequities by providing equal access and opportunity for the citizens of Jacksonville.
The committee may conduct research and collect and analyze date; it will act as a coordinated group to advise for programs, activities and legislative action which may improve the social inequalities within the City. The committee may also propose policy recommendations for consideration by the Council and the Mayor and executive branch agencies. I am directing the committee to complement any proposals with definitive, practical action plans. The committee may seek advice from public and private subject matter experts and will encourage maximum public participation in its work. It should consider recent work and recommendations of the Charter Revision Commission and community groups, non-profits and those with firsthand knowledge and “boots on the ground” all of which have already established valuable work on the topics of the committee and topics and issues thereto pertaining.
The Zoom Virtual Meeting will be held on Monday, September 28, 2020, at 11:30 A.M.-1:00 PM, and will be hosted virtually through the Zoom.US- computer application app.
In an effort to encourage social distancing and in accordance with Gov. DeSantis’ Executive Order Number 20-69, (extended by Governor’s Executive Order 2020-193) “Local government bodies may utilize communications media technology, such as telephonic and video conferencing, as provided in section 120.54(5)(b)2., Florida Statutes.” The Council will operate under the provisions of Ordinance 2020-200-E as adopted by the Council on April 7, 2020 hereto attached.
All interested parties are invited to attend.
The public will be encouraged to share general comments with individual council members by email or telephone. Public hearings and public participation are required by state statute for specific legislation. We will conduct these hearings as required by state law. CCMeeting10132020@coj.net
is the designated email for general comments to be including as a part of this meeting.
WAYS FOR THE PUBLIC TO ACCESS THE MEETING:
- Sign up for Zoom. Type - Zoom.US – with Chrome Internet Browser. Go to: JOIN A MEETING On Dash Board Information regarding the Zoom meeting ID and meeting password is listed below:
946 9189 3900 Meeting Passwords:
(You can LISTEN
to the meeting and VIEW
the meeting this way.
ALL PARTICPANTS WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN LEGALLY REQUIRED PUBLIC
PARTICIPATION MUST LOG IN WITH (It would be helpful to identify bill to be addressed)
Full Name – IE: Cheryl L. Brown 2020-0200
2. Watch it on your computer. Streaming site (or COJ streaming site):
3. Joining a Zoom Meeting by phone:
Dial: 1 646 568 7788 - Meeting ID: 946 9189 3900 Password: 818253
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adJ3eBUz2I
WAYS FOR THE PUBLIC TO PARTICIPATE IN LEGALLY REQUIRED PUBLIC HEARINGS OR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION ZOOM MEETING
1. Refer to: City of Jacksonville Citizen Guide to Council Meetings (Attached)
2. Legal Name must appear on Zoom to be recognized by the Chair;
3. DO NOT
state your residence- address as this is not required in this forum – only state
County and Zip Code
4. Timeframe set by Chairman – No more than 3 minutes per speaker.
5. The Timer will be viewable. Must be in “Gallery View” to see countdown; Sort those in
meeting by going to “Participant” and typing in Timer.
6. Chairman will “ONLY”
call on speakers using the ELECTRONIC “RAISE HAND”
located within the Zoom App. This feature is found- Click on “Participants” scroll to the bottom
click on “Raise Hand”… wait to be recognized. (Must have a Microphone, Video, and Speakers
to participate with the function.)
INSTRUCTIONS: JOINING A MEETING BY DIAL-IN PHONE ONLY
- Dial numbers provided above. If you dial a toll number, your carrier rates will apply.
- You will be prompted to enter the meeting ID – the Meeting ID: 946 9189 3900 Meeting Password: 818253
- If the meeting has not already started and join before host is not enabled, you will be prompted to press # to wait if you are participant.
- You will be prompted to enter your unique participant ID. This only applies if you have joined on the computer or mobile device or are a panelist in a webinar. Press # to skip.
If you join by computer or mobile device later, you can enter the Participant ID to bind your phone and device session together and show your video when you speak on the phone. To enter your participant ID once you are in the meeting, enter #Participant ID#
on your phone.
PHONE CONTROLS FOR DIAL-IN PHONE ONLY PARTICIPANTS
The following commands can be entered via phone tones using your phone's dial pad while in a Zoom meeting:
- *6 - Toggle mute/unmute (While this is a function that is available the mute and unmute function will be controlled by the Host not the participant. To speak, the participant must use the *9 function to be recognized.)
- *9 - Raise hand (Electronic Zoom feature that “Must” be used to be recognized by the Chairman to Speak)
- Refer to: City of Jacksonville Citizen Guide to Council Meetings (Attached)
- Legal Name must appear on Zoom to be recognized by the Chair;
- DO NOT state your residence- address as this is not required in this forum – only state
County and Zip Code
ADA and TDD ASSISTANCE
- Timeframe set by Chairman – No more than 3 minutes per speaker.
- Phone in participate will be informed of remaining time.
- Chairman will “ONLY” recognize or call on speakers using the ELECTRONIC “RAISE HAND” feature located within the Zoom App *9 … wait to be recognized. (Must have a Microphone and Speakers on phone to participate with the function.)
Pursuant to the American with Disabilities Act, accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon request. Please allow 1-2 business days’ notification to process; last minute requests will be accepted, but may not be possible to fulfill. Please contact Disabled Services Division at: V- 904-255-5466, TTY-904-255-5476, or email your request to KaraT@coj.net
All legislative inquires contact Jessica Matthews, Chief of Legislative Services at 904 255 5169 or JMatthews@coj.net
. Please contact Dr. Cheryl L Brown, Director/Council Secretary at CLBrown@coj.net
904 255 5193 or refer to the information provided with the notice for specific contact information and/or details.
Please refer to the Jacksonville City Council Webpage at https://www.coj.net/city-council/events
for future meeting notices, cancellations and other notifications.
For general meeting information please contact Dr. Cheryl L Brown, Director/Council Secretary, at CLBrown@coj.net
or Jessica Matthews, Chief of Legislative Services, at JMatthews@coj.net