The Lex Hester Memorial Scholarship Review Committee was created by Ordinance 2002-671-E and Executive Order 2018-03 in memory of former City of Jacksonville Chief Administrative Officer, Lewis Alexander (Lex) Hester.As one of the key architects of Consolidation, the unique governmental structure that Lex Hester designed remains the largest consolidation project in the United States and continues to serve as a blueprint for communities across the nation and world. Following Consolidation in 1968, Lex Hester served the City of Jacksonville as its Chief Administrative Officer until 1975 and then again from 1991 until his death in 2000. He not only shaped Jacksonville's government, but he became recognized throughout the state as one of Florida's premier experts on governmental efficiency and was responsible for designing and carrying out critical initiatives that have defined Florida's cities.
The committee is charged with disbursing funds from the interest earned on the trust fund account to deserving and qualified University of North Florida students seeking careers in public administration. The Lex Hester Endowed Fellowship for Public Administration is a competitive award to an outstanding student in the University of North Florida MPA program. The scholarship is posted at https://www.unf.edu/coas/pspa/MPA/Scholarships.aspx.
Scholarship Application Process
To be eligible for the scholarship, all applicants must complete the online form, including an essay responses to the provided questions, a letter of recommendation, and submission of an essay on the life of former City of Jacksonville Chief Administrative Officer, Lewis Alexander (Lex) Hester. All submissions will be evaluated by the Lex Hester Memorial Scholarship Review Committee, who will provide award recommendations to the Mayor. The scholarship must be used for tuition and fee expenses only for the Master of Public Administration Program at the University of North Florida. There will be no reimbursement of residual funds.
The following criteria shall be used in evaluating candidates for Scholarship awards (Executive Order No. 2018-03):
- Submission of a complete and timely application from applicants seeking an award.
- Current residence in Duval County.
- Acceptance into, or current enrollment in, the Master of Public Administration Program at the University of North Florida.
- A 3.0 GPA or higher as an undergraduate student or as a current graduate student. New students provide undergraduate GPA, and current students provide graduate GPA.
- Official sealed transcript
- Submission of responses (in essay form) to written questions, including: Why the course of study was chosen; why public service is important; why public administration studies are important; why the Scholarship is important.
- Submission of essay on the life of former City of Jacksonville Chief Administrative Officer, Lewis Alexander (Lex) Hester
Click here to fill out the scholarship application.
Committee Staff: Tina Thompson, (904) 255-5004, TinaT@coj.net
- Dr. Charles Moreland, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, City of Jacksonville - chair
- Kristen Reed, Chief of Community Planning, Planning & Development Department, City of Jacksonville - vice chair
- Tracey Hester Flynn, Hester family member
- Joshua Gideon, Chief of Building Inspection Division, Planning & Development Department, City of Jacksonville
- Frederick Sumter, Construction Project Manger, Public Works Department
- Dr. Georgette Dumont, MPA Director, Public Administration Program, University of North Florida
- Sarah Schmidt, Strategic Partnerships Coordinator, City of Jacksonville
Committee Member Contact Information
|January 18, 2023
||01-18-23 Notice; 01-18-23 Agenda; 01-18-23 Sign-In Sheet ; 01-18-23 Minutes
|August 29, 2022
||08-29-22 Notice; 08-29-22 Agenda; 08-29-22 Minutes
|January 12, 2022
||01-12-22 Notice; 01-12-22 Agenda; 01-12-22 Minutes
|July 13, 2021
||07-13-21 Notice, 07-13-21 Agenda & Minutes
|Nov. 22, 2019
||11-22-19 Notice, 11-22-19 Agenda & Minutes
|April 10, 2019
||4-10-19 Notice, 4-10-19 Agenda & Minutes
|Jan. 25, 2019
||1-25-19 Notice, 1-25-19 Agenda & Minutes
|Oct. 23, 2018
||10-23-18 Notice, 10-23-18 Agenda & Minutes