Planning and Development
The Planning and Development Department manages existing and future development within the City of Jacksonville. Matters pertaining to zoning, the Comprehensive Plan, land use, concurrency, mobility, transportation policy, addressing, building codes and inspections all fall within the purview of the Planning and Development Department. While its responsibilities are varied, the Department ensures that development and the implementation of programs and activities in Jacksonville occurs in a logical, safe, orderly and fair manner.
Due to COVID-19 and in an effort to encourage social distancing, ALL meetings, including the Jacksonville Planning Commission, Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission, and Administrative Deviation meetings, will be cancelled through the end of April, 2020.
- The Building Inspection Division is responsible for vertical construction permitting, building inspections, inspections of permitted construction and floodplain management.
Joshua Gideon, C.B.O, Chief can be reached at (904) 255-8521 or JGideon@coj.net
- The Current Planning Division houses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and is responsible for zoning interpretation and review of zoning applications: Administrative Deviations, Exceptions, Variances, Waivers, Conventional Rezonings and Planned Unit Developments (PUDs).
Folks Huxford, Chief can be reached at (904) 255-7829 or FHuxford@coj.net
- The Community Planning Division is responsible for the Comprehensive Plan, land use amendments, Developments of Regional Impacts (DRIs) and historic preservation.
Kristen Reed, Chief can be reached at (904) 255-7888 or KReed@coj.net
- The Development Services Division handles site plan review, addressing, right-of-way permitting, concurrency/mobility and zoning counter operations that assists with various applications and certificates of use.
Ellyn Cavin, P.E., Chief can be reached at (904) 255-8310 or ECavin@coj.net
- The Transportation Planning Division focuses on transportation policy, planning and development activities and is a key participant in coordinating land use and transportation issues related to land development in the City of Jacksonville through elements of the Comprehensive Plan, as well as the City's overall mobility needs.
Laurie Santana, Chief can be reached at (904) 255-7857 or LSantana@coj.net
Public Records Notice
The City of Jacksonville is committed to making its website compliant with all state, local, and federal laws, as well as accessible to as many people as possible. The City is currently developing a procedure to make all documents posted ADA accessible. In the meantime, public records that are not currently accessible will not be posted to the City’s website but remain available pursuant to a public records request. To submit a public records request online visit MyJax
or call (904) 630-CITY.
William B. Killingsworth, Director
Ed Ball Building
214 North Hogan Street, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32202